Moorgate Farm Vegetable Box Cauliflower and Bacon Quiche Recipe
This delicious recipe is brought to us from Moorgate Farm Vegetable Box Scheme. It is a great way to enjoy a nutritious vegetable that you may otherwise avoid!
225g plain flour
140g cold unsalted butter roughly cubed
1 large egg yolk
2-3 tbsp ice-cold water
For the filling
1 small cauliflower, broken into small florets
100g roughly chopped unsmoked streaky bacon
3 large free range eggs
284ml double cream
175g cheese, finely grated (choose/combine parmesan, cheddar and gruyere or emmental)
2 tbsp snipped chives
Good pinch of grated nutmeg
• Whizz our with a pinch of salt in a food processor, add butter, whizz until mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
• Whisk the egg yolk with 2 tbsp water and pour into mix process until pastry forms a ball, add 1⁄2-1 tbs water if necessary.
• Pat into disc, wrap in cling lm and chill for 30 mins – 48 hours.
• Roll out thinly and line a 4cm x 23cm round tart tin with a removable base. Tuck pastry into the corners, without stretching and trim off overhang. Chill for 30 mins.
• Preheat oven, fan 170C/conventional 190C/gas mark 5.
• Line pastry with foil, weigh down with ceramic or dried beans, bake for 12 mins. Remove foil and beans, cook for a further 5-7 mins until pastry has lost rawness but is pale golden.
• Cook cauliflower in a saucepan of boiling water for 5 mins. Drain well and leave to cool.
• Cook bacon over a low-medium heat for 7-8 mins, stir occasionally, until fat runs and bacon is coloured. Leave to cool.
• Combine eggs, cream, cheese, chives and nutmeg with black pepper and a little salt. Stir in cauli ower and bacon, pour mixture into the case. Bake for 30 mins, until pastry is golden and lling isset. Leave for 30 mins as quiche is best served warm.