• 250g unsalted soft butter (extra for tin)
• 3 unwaxed lemons
• 200g golden caster sugar
• 3 eggs
• 2 medium coarsely courgettes
• 1 tsp poppy seeds (extra for decoration)
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 100g self raising flour
• 100g plain wholemeal flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 85g icing sugar
• 200g full fat soft cheese
• 4 tbsp lemon curd
1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
Grease 2 x 20cm sandwich tins, line with baking parchment.
2. Zest 2 lemons, squeeze juice into a bowl. Beat into a creamy
batter – 200g butter, caster sugar, eggs, courgettes, poppy
seeds, vanilla and lemon zest. Stir in 1tbsp lemon juice, flour,
baking powder and 1⁄4 tsp salt. Spoon mix into tins, bake for 25
mins or until risen, golden and springy in the middle.
3. Make a drizzle by mixing 1 tbsp lemon juice with 25g icing
sugar. Beat remaining icing sugar and butter into a creamy,
smooth frosting, add the soft cheese, 2 tbsp lemon juice and
grate in final lemon’s zest.
4. Cool the cakes in their tins for 15 minutes, then turn onto a
cooling rack. Prick with a cocktail stick, spoon over the drizzle
and cool. Spread the lemon curd and then half the frosting. Put
second cake on top and spread remaining frosting. Sprinkle with
Moorgate Farm Vegetable Box Delivery Scheme – Local fresh,
quality vegetables delivered from field to your door in 24 hours.
Moorgate Farm, Potterspury, NN12 7QG
01908 543008 • Mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org • http://www.moorgatefarm.co.uk/