Satellite navigation devices are great for planning and helping find your destination. However, they can be confusing and as distracting as your phone.
ROSPA recommend the following tips for using your sat nav:
• Pre-programme the device before you get into your
• Check your journey before you leave – reduce your
reliance on the sat nav
• Place the sat nav where it will not obscure vision
• Take note of road signs on your journey – some
suggested roads may be unsuitable for your vehicle
• Choose a device that gives vocal directions
• Keep your sat nav up-to-date
Cyclists and walkers should also be more vigilant when they use their devices.